Vegetarian Wonton Bites – An Easy Appetizer Idea
These Vegetarian Wonton Bites combine creamy hummus and fresh vegetables in an easy to eat, crispy wonton cup, creating the perfect party appetizer.
Dinner Party Mayhem
Let me set the scene of how it looks at my house an hour before we are having people over for dinner…
I’m typically in my robe, frantically trying to finish my hair and makeup, while simultaneously picking up toys off the living room floor for the 100th time, doing a last minute clean up in the guest bathroom, getting annoyed with the hubby for his inability to read my mind and help me without me having to tell him what to do, and preparing appetizers.
No matter how much I tried to prepare, I was still left frantically running around getting stressed out and barely pulling everything together before our guests arrived.
A Simple Appetizer – Hummus to the Rescue
I decided that while some aspects I can’t control (toys on the floor, having to ask 56 times to have the garbage taken out, hair not cooperating), I needed to create a simple appetizer that could be made in advance that still tastes great and fits into a healthy lifestyle.
This recipe was inspired by Sabra and in honor of National Hummus Day, which is on May 13th this year. Hummus is one of my favorite appetizers and snacks. It’s simple, delicious, and always a crowd pleaser. It’s a plant-based protein so it's a healthy option that still tastes great.
Vegetarian Wonton Cups – How To
The beauty of these Vegetarian Wonton Bites is that the wonton cups can be made an entire day in advance. I simply bought square wonton wrappers at my local grocery store and then baked them in a muffin pan that had been sprayed with coconut oil.
On the day of the party, all you have to do is fill each wonton cup with hummus (I used Sabra’s supremely spicy flavor, but any flavor works great), top with chopped carrots, green onion, peanuts, cilantro and drizzle with Sriracha. This can be done up to two hours in advance and then held in the fridge until party time.
- 12 square wonton wrappers
- Coconut oil spray (or other non-stick cooking spray)
- ½ container Sabra Hummus
- ½ cup carrots, chopped or shredded
- 3 green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp peanuts, rough chop
- Sriracha (optional, or other hot sauce)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Spray a muffin pan with coconut oil
- Gently press a wonton wrapper into each space on the muffin tray, using fingers to press edges against the sides to create a bowl
- Bake for 4-6 minutes, until edges are golden brown
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely
- Once cooled, add 1-2 tbsp hummus into center of each wonton cup
- Top with carrots, green onion, cilantro and peanuts
- Drizzle with Sriracha
The creamy hummus and fresh vegetables are the perfect match for the crispy wonton cup! Filling without being heavy and a definite party favorite.