Grilled Pork Chops With Pomegranate Sauce
Juicy grilled pork chops topped with tangy POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice to create a dish that is delicious, nutritious and easy enough for a weeknight dinner.
Disclaimer – I received free samples of POM Wonderful mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by POM Wonderful and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
One of my personal goals for the New Year is to focus on incorporating healthy ingredients into my dinner time meals to make them delicious, relatively simple, family friendly and healthy.
These Grilled Pork Chops with Pomegranate Sauce are so juicy and full of flavor! The relatively simple recipe means they are perfect for a #CrazyHealthy weeknight dinner that the whole family will love.
If that’s not enough to peak your interest, what if I told you that this recipe is full of cancer-fighting antioxidants?
- POM Wonderful 100% Juice is powered by antioxidants. The pomegranate is whole-pressed, meaning a unique blend of polyphenol antioxidants from two whole pomegranates – including its fruit, pith and rind – is found in each 8 oz bottle.
And did you know that POM Wonderful 100% Juice is a good source of potassium?
- Each 8 oz bottle contains as much potassium as a medium banana.
I used 8oz of POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice to create a delicious and simple sauce that I reduced and drizzled over pork chops. Fresh fresh pomegranate arils add a tangy crunch and finished the dish off with some fresh cilantro.
I chose pork because I wanted to try something new that we don’t typically have for dinner. The top loin pork chops I used were very lean and a great source of protein. Using the pomegranate sauce on top added so much tangy flavor and helped keep them from being too dry.
In addition to their antioxidant benefits and good source of potassium, new research also shows promising potential benefits related to –
Memory & Cognition
- In a preliminary 2013 UCLA study, it was found that a small group of older adults with age-related memory complaints who drank 8 oz. of pomegranate juice daily had increased verbal memory performance and functional brain activity in fMRI testing after just four weeks.
*These early scientific results on the impact of pomegranate juice on the brain have not yet been adequately studied. Further clinical research on larger populations is needed to help establish causation and to determine the long term effects of pomegranate on memory and cognition.
- 100% pomegranate juice is powered by unique polyphenols that early research suggests have promising results for post-workout muscle strength recovery. Certain types of polyphenol antioxidants, like those found in pomegranate juice, may help increase nitric oxide bioavailability by protecting it from breaking down in the body. Nitric oxide helps your body get the oxygen and nutrients in needs during exercise.
*Although the research reported is promising, additional clinical research is needed to establish causation and the potential impact of pomegranate polyphenols and exercise.
So not only is this recipe delicious and easy to make, it also is full of health benefits related to memory, antioxidants, and muscle recovery. Happy New Year indeed!
- 2 top loin pork chops
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 8oz POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh pomegranate arils
- chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Season each pork chop with salt and pepper and set aside
- In a small sauce pan, combine POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate juice and dijon mustard.
- Simmer over low heat until reduce by ½ (about 20-30 min). Sauce will thicken as it simmers
- On a grill pan, heat olive oil over medium heat
- Add pork chops and grill on each side until golden brown and cooked through (about 4-5 min each side)
- Remove from heat and allow to rest 5 min before serving
- Place pork chops on a plate and drizzle with reduced Pomegranate sauce
- Top with fresh pomegranate arils and chopped parsley