5 Tips For Cultivating Self-Love Within Your Life
Living in the digital media age can be exhausting. With apps like Facebook and Instagram we are constantly in a state of comparison to others. Often times, I find myself going back and forth in a love/hate relationship with social media. At times it can feel difficult to truly love yourself for who you are when so many people around you virtually seem like the are living better lives.
There is always someone who has more views, travels more, has more friends, eats at more expensive restaurants and takes more flawless photos for their feeds. It can be difficult to separate yourself from this made up world of social media and focus on loving your true self.
The older I get, the more I learn that this digital age is much of an illusion. There are sure fire ways to start loving yourself for who you are and get rid of the false sense of perfection we suffer from.
1. Write down what you love about yourself: This may seem like a cliche but one technique that has helped me is write down things I love about myself to understand what it is that makes me great. You can also write down your accomplishments, both big and small, to remind yourself of all the great things you’ve done in your life thus far. The more positivity you connect with yourself, the greater chance you will look at your life differently and most importantly yourself.
2. Turn off the TV and stop reading magazines: It’s hard sometimes to imagine a world without media right? Years ago, I stopped reading magazines and let me tell you, I used to be a magazine junkie! I also limited my time on the couch watching tv significantly and starting filling my time with content that inspires me to be better. Television and magazines are detrimental to your self-love journey because everyday we are presented with images that tell us how we should look, what we should want, and how we should be. Media has a HUGE influence on our self-love. Advertisements are constantly bombarding us and this affects our minds in a tremendous way.
3. Start practicing affirmations: Get up every morning and repeat to yourself words or phrases of self love. For example…..
I am smart…
I love myself….
I am worthy…..
I am enough…
I am capable
After a while these will sink into your head and you will start to believe them.
4. Read about self-love and mindset: Words are so powerful! The more you read about self-love and how mindset plays a huge role in it, the greater love you will have for yourself and a greater understanding of what love truly is as well.
5. Learn when to turn off social media: If you are guilty of comparing yourself to others, you have to learn whento stop using social media. Delete the app from your phone or deactivate your account for a few days to see how you feel. If you just can’t part with your beloved app create a separate account that I like to call your “Happy Account.” Your happy account is an account on Instagram for example, where you follow only positive accounts that inspire you to be a better you. Follow accounts like Think Grow Prosper and other accounts that promote positivity by posting daily quotes and inspirational photos. Let your social media work for you not against you!