10 Ways to Share Love With the World Around You
Valentine's Day is the day to show your true love just how devoted you are to them. Whether you are celebrating years together, your first year or even you first kiss, couples on this day are extra careful to be attentive, romantic, and considerate.
While this a wonderful sentiment, I think we often forget the rest of the world could use a little extra love too.
It's easy to get so focused on ourselves and those closest to us, that we fail to see those around us.
Therefore, this Valentine's Day I am challenging myself to spread the love to others as well as my own husband and family. Check out my list of ways to share a little compassion, appreciation, and affection to the world around you during the week of V-Day!
- Call someone you haven't spoken to for awhile. Even if it's just to say hi, that you remember and still value them, dial the number and bring a smile to their face. Even a text is better than nothing.
- Give your neighbor a Valentine. It doesn't have to be a bouquet, but even a card and a small chocolate to show how much you appreciate having them as neighbors rather than the crazy-college-party-throwing-frat-boys from the good ole days, will go a long way.
- If you happen to go out to dinner on V-Day, show a little extra love to your server. Remember, they aren't with the one they love in order to serve you and yours, and it's a crazy night for the restaurant industry. Be polite, say thank you, and leave an appropriate tip. Waitstaff also always appreciate a note saying how great a job they did.
- Do something nice for a stranger. Hold the door a little longer to allow someone else to get in, let someone go in front of you at the checkout line. Pay it forward and pay for the car behind you're drink in the Starbuck's line, or McDonald's, whatever floats your boat!
- Surprise your co-workers with a snack, coffee, or even just some pens to restock their collection. Let's face it, everyone always needs more pens. Just do something nice so the people around you feel a little extra special.
- Help with a chore. Whether this be in your own home, where you help with something you normally wouldn't, or outside, where you could help a neighbor bring in groceries or help a stranger load their's up, it's always nice to get a little extra help. Especially when it is unexpected.
- Go out of your way for a friend. Valentine's Day is to show your love, and not just for your sweetheart. Your best friend is someone who can easily be overlooked in the love department. This is someone who is always there for you, for your tears, your antics, your broken down car, EVERYTHING. Don't forget to do a little something special for them this week. (hint: best friends tend to like wine.....)
- Spoil your kiddos. For those of you that have kids, don't forget to spoil their little hearts as well. Buy silly amounts of chocolate and goofy little cards that say I love you in dorky, yet fun phrases and rhymes. Also, allow them to spoil their loved ones by helping them make special Valentines for Grandma and Grandpa.
- Call your mama. This woman loves you more than life itself, has been through more with you than anyone else, and often gets put on the back-burner as we get older and begin our own lives. Call your mum and tell her you love her, she will probably cry. Call your dad too, I guess :)
- Donate. I don't know about you, but I always seem to have a bag of clothes, toys, or books lying around that I no longer want in my home. If that bag is not already packed, I can easily go through some things and find stuff that I no longer use or need, but that someone else would truly appreciate. Find yourself a bag of things to donate or go pick up some stuff (socks, gloves, personal hygiene products) to give to your local shelter.
If you manage to get through this list your Valentine's Day will be extra special. Not only will you be with the one you love, but you will feel a little extra love for yourself after all the good you have done!